Mirandoami

Reflections on teaching EFL students

Monday, January 31, 2005

Web collaborator and EVO2005

I'm just finishing off an article for the IATEFL Computer sig journal on Web Collaborator, using my experience of collaborating on the Weblogging EVO2005 project.

Here's a taster:

"What I didn’t realise when I said 'yes' to EVO2005 was that my ‘yes’ was going to lead me feeling like Alice tumbling down the rabbit hole on an exhausting (but very fulfilling) online adventure.

I now think she should have presented me with two pills:

‘Graham, you take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red EVO2005 pill and you stay in Blogging Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.’

Well, I took that red EVO2005 pill and have been plunged into a fascinating online adventure, with 179 registered members using an alarming array of online collaborative tools : There’s the email list, the course webquest, individual reflective blogs linked to a collective discussion blog, all of which feed RSS and Atom feeds to an aggregator that allows participants to keep on top of updates. And then there’s the course wiki (which we hope will become a more long-term resource) not to mention the online text chat and audio web-conference tools for our weekly guest speaker sessions."

And the great thing is that it's only just begun.