Mirandoami

Reflections on teaching EFL students

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Elluminate / Interwise - recorded demonstrations and events

Eluminate Live! is the tool that was used at Learning Times for the session with James Farmer, allowing participants to talk over the Internet, text chat and share a whiteboard and applications. I've just come back from taking one of the Elluminate recorded demonstrations entitled 'Getting the most from your online training', which I found fascinating.

If there's anyone else out there who (like I am) is new to this technology, then I recommend taking a look at some of these demos, not only for the content, but also to see how experienced moderators use these tools to best effect.

It just so happens that I've been involved in other sessions using a similar product, called Interwise, and this also has recorded demos available to watch, but this software seems to be targeted more at the private sector (in particular sales), although there are some sessions of interest (one, for example that I took a look at was about blended learning). What I didn't like was the necessity with Interwise of filling in a form before you can watch the recorded events. However, I did prefer the ease at which you can scroll through the presentation at Interwise by clicking on the slide title (this fast forwarded the auio at the same time) that interests you. This is not as effective using Elluminate.

Fascinating stuff!